Precision Home Visiting Research Preconference Workshop
Tuesday, January 28th, 2020: 2-5pm
This workshop is open to a limited number of participants who will meet in small groups to advance their ideas for precision home visiting research with HARC team members and other investigators.
The Workshop’s goal is to build the capacity of those who are highly motivated to carry out precision home visiting research. Intended participants are those who plan to seek funding for or initiate an innovative precision home visiting study within six months of the Workshop. The purpose of the Workshop is to strengthen attendees’ study plans through thoughtful review, discussion and feedback of written study aims. Workshop activities include:
- Brief review and discussion of the principles of precision home visiting research.
- Breakout sessions of 4-5 attendees in each. Using a structured format, attendees will share and receive feedback on their proposed project from HARC team members, methods experts, and other workshop participants. Groups will rotate twice.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Who will facilitate the breakout sessions?
Breakout sessions will be facilitated by HARC team members with expertise in precision home visiting and affiliates including innovative research methods experts, and well-funded home
visiting researchers. Members of the HARC Leadership Team will also be in attendance.
2. What are the benefits of attending the preconference workshop?
There are many benefits of attending! Benefits include:
- A unique opportunity to network directly with and learn from established and innovative home visiting researchers and HARC Leadership Team members. Participants will have the chance to share and receive personalized feedback on their research ideas during the breakout sessions.
- An informal, extended opportunity to get to know other researchers who are developing precision home visiting research ideas. The potential for new collaborations will be high!
- An increased likelihood of successful grant review. Many researchers find that sharing their draft aims pages in small groups of peers and experts is incredibly helpful for developing their ideas further.
- The chance to have fun and learn in an informal, collaborative setting!
3. How can I be selected for the preconference workshop?
When you indicate that you are interested in attending the workshop, you will receive an email from the meeting planning team asking you to provide additional information about yourself and your proposed research idea. Applicants will be ranked according to the extent to which the proposed research a) aligns with principles of precision home visiting, b) is innovative, c) will advance the field of home visiting.
4. What will I need to bring to the preconference workshop?
You will need to bring a draft aims page describing your research study. We encourage you to read our introduction to precision home visiting. We ask that you think carefully about how your research idea aligns with the precision home visiting framework when composing your aims statement.
Prior to attending, you will also be asked to send a biosketch and to complete a brief survey about your research interests and the type of funding in which you are interested. We will use the survey responses to inform the breakout sessions. If participants are interested, we may also have an optional breakout session to review biosketches.